My thoughts after reading Beyond the Narrow Gate by Leslie T. Chang

I recently finished reading the non-fiction book about Leslie's mother, Mary and Mary's friends growing up during the Communist Revolution and then becoming adults in America, the land of the American Dream. Due to the division between the Nationalists and the Communists, they fled to Taiwan located near China. Leslie also included Mary's friends' families such as being sons and daughters of immigrant parents. Leslie revealed how she felt growing up in Connecticut dominated by Caucasian middle class citizens. However, Lesile was curious to how her mother felt in America unlike her homelands where beliefs and traditions differ. Thus she started interviewing Mary's friends who attended the same school for girls in Taiwan. From there, Leslie learned many perspectives from getting to know them and why her mother is determined to work dedicatedly for her family. I especially enjoyed the chapter where Leslie, her boyfriend, and her mother went to China to go sightseeing because Leslie shared a description of the poor area of China that is not exposed on typical tourist brochures. She felt that China is rapidly becoming modernized while it leaves behind the vestige of the past such as old stone gates, etc. I read this book because I want to know if anyone knows the feeling of growing up as an Asian American or as an multi-racial of Asian heritage person in the U.S. Plus I want to learn more about people growing up in Taiwan as well as Taiwanese history! If you are a Eastern Asian history fan, then read this! Then go visit Taiwan for great sights, great food, and great memories!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this wonderful recommendation. Looks like I got a new book to pick up! :) The Accidental Asian by Eric Liu and Orphan of Asia by Zhuoliu Wu are both insightful pieces similar to what you are describing. I highly recommend them especially if you are interested in the Asian perspective, especially Taiwanese. Although I am not Taiwanese, I am so glad that someone like you is so passionate and proud about the cultural roots in Asia. I can't thank you enough, seriously.
    Anecdotally, I have a love/hate relationship with America. I am grateful for this country for giving me the opportunity to connect and grow around many different ethnic groups and nationalities. I have made great friends who do not share the same skin color as me. For that, I am very thankful. Conversely, I am jaded by the 'micro-aggression' which stems from racism. It's got to a point where I believe social disparity will always exist as long as people acknowledge the differences that exist and showcase prejudiced labels.
    I always have this feeling that I will never be included especially because I am Asian. I just don't look 'Western.' Media portrays me as 'uncool.' I will always be that 'Asian guy,' rather than who I really am as a person. These labels are usually not belligerent in any way but even the slightest connotations or idiosyncrasies of people who see me as a foreign identity really makes me...lonely. It also makes me skeptical, which also makes me cautious around people who do not share the same skin color as me. It really is a sad cycle. I have had someone who devalued my work ethic and restless nights of studying by saying, "it's because your Asian." I was never really welcomed by Caucasian groups and even other minority groups. I realized that...unless these social groups share some kind of solidarity, it is really rare for people to connect with others who are vastly different from them. Everyday, I wonder how different my life would be if my parents never decided to move to the States. My experiences are pessimistic but I will always try my best to understand others' perceptions of me, acknowledge their intentions, and share the love I have for them as a person.
    Perceived stereotypes need to stop. Objectifying and labeling a person based on skin color and gender probably has more underlying consequences than we would like to know. I am guilty of some of these actions but I am trying my best to respect and see the value of another individual through their character, intentions, and kindness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Father's Day!

Are we dreaming or are we awake?